Professionals from around the world enrol in the world’s first 100% distance learning MBA for the oil & gas industry: Visit the course website
Industry interest is very strong for the first truly 100% distance learning MBA designed for oil and gas executives across the globe. Offered by Middlesex University (UK) in partnership with industry training expert IBC Global Academy, and recognised by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI), the 2-year part-time programme commences in October 2011, with applications closing in early September.
Learn more about the Oil & Gas MBA by downloading the prospectus here.
“Our Oil & Gas MBA is the only one which requires absolutely no physical attendance at induction sessions or lectures at the university itself,” explains Dr. Simon Best, the programme leader at the Middlesex University Business School. “This means that professionals can work towards a Master in Business Administration degree without having to take any time away from work to travel to a campus which might be on a completely different continent.”
“We offer an academically rigorous qualification, specially tailored to the international oil and gas industry, using a sophisticated Learning Management System to involve and support students in an immersive study programme, across borders and time zones. This course builds on the recognised success of our other MBA programmes.”
The Oil & Gas MBA is designed for petroleum professionals looking for the advanced business, management and leadership skills needed to formalise existing experience and step up to a more senior role in the oil and gas sector.
“At a time when the global oil and gas industry faces unprecedented change and challenges,” adds Dr. Best, “the need for agile and farsighted decision makers is more pressing than ever. The Oil & Gas MBA equips you with the essential management skills you need, honed with an oil and gas focus to set you apart as a leader in this truly international sector.”
Six modules engage students with current business theory, strategic leadership skills and practical industry knowledge. The final business transformation project allows in-depth analysis of an issue affecting your organisation or sector, applying skills gained throughout the programme to deliver valuable results.
The course is for those who want to become more effective in a current management role, or engage at a higher level. Some applicants will wish to broaden their managerial skill set or explore new areas of specialisation. Many professionals, such as geologists, engineers, analysts etc, are looking to formalise years of industry experience and develop their management knowledge and competence.
Join global oil and gas professionals from around the world who are enrolling to transform their career.
The full course prospectus can be downloaded here.
Course Aims and Benefits:
The overarching aim of the Oil and Gas MBA is to prepare you for senior management in the oil and gas industry and related organisations.
The programme aims to provide a recognised qualification through a challenging and engaging academic process encouraging the analysis and application of key management theories in the practical arena of the oil and gas industry.
The Oil and Gas MBA does not merely hand you a toolbox of skills: it arms you with a high level of critical thinking that will assist in every endeavour for the rest of your life.
On successfully completing the degree you will achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Enhance and extend previous experience in business and management
- Develop the ability to apply existing and newly acquired knowledge and experience to complex business issues
- Prepare for leadership and transformational roles in business
- Develop strategic thinking and innovation skills
- Encourage lifelong learning and personal development
- Develop advanced knowledge of your organisation, its management and the environment in which it operates and apply this to the oil and gas industry and related fields
- Demonstrate a broad perspective on organisational management and its wider impact on society and the environment
- Operate and manage in a global and multicultural environment
- Acquire improved communication, writing and time management techniques
- Develop interpersonal, networking, virtual teamwork and group management skills
- Gain higher levels of self-confidence and awareness of unique strengths and abilities
Benefits: Why study for The Oil and Gas MBA?
The Oil and Gas MBA can significantly advance your career by giving you:
- The confidence to operate across all areas of the industry
- Enhanced capabilities to lead, think and act more strategically
- Awareness of personal strengths and opportunities for improvement
- The ability to apply knowledge as you learn it in real time and the real world
- An understanding of the challenges in other areas of the industry
- A demonstrable ability to meet the challenges of a senior management role
- The academic skills and intellectual habits to continue developing after completing the MBA
- Networking and support opportunities through lifelong alumni membership
The Oil and Gas MBA can benefit your employer by:
- Significantly enhancing your capabilities across a range of areas such as project management, strategic thinking, innovation and change, and people management
- Improving your ability to operate at a more strategic level and contribute beyond your own functional specialism
- Providing an opportunity for a cost-effective management development programme
- Allowing the flexibility to study and participate without absence from the workplace
- Presenting the opportunity to gain value for your organisation through your Business Transformation Project, providing significant research into a relevant business issue.
Access detailed information about the Oil & Gas MBA by downloading the prospectus here.
This is a Middlesex University programme and qualification, jointly developed, delivered and assessed by Middlesex and IBC Global Academy, and quality assured by Middlesex University.
Dates and Structure of The Oil & Gas MBA
The Oil & Gas MBA starts on 3rd October 2011. The programme runs for 24 months and finishes in September 2013.
The deadline for application for the October 2011 intake is 5th September 2011.
The design and content of the programme balances management theories with their practical industry and business-specific applications. It has been developed in consultation with industry leaders, oil and gas executives, respected academics and the next generation of management.
The Oil & Gas MBA comprises six modules and the Business Transformation Project, delivered over two years:
- The Global Oil and Gas Industry
- Business Strategy
- Advanced International Marketing
- Executive Leadership
- Oil and Gas Finance and Risk Management
- Managing Projects and Optimising Operations
- Business Transformation Project
Download the course prospectus for detailed module content here.
Student Profile and Entry Requirements
Your fellow Oil & Gas MBA students will include professionals from a diverse range of countries and roles, creating a rich network of knowledge to enhance your learning. Imagine the benefits of learning alongside peers such as:
- Executives from governmental and non-governmental energy companies
- Industry professionals and managers from upstream to downstream
- Professionals from international organisations (such as OPEC, OECD, IAEA etc.)
- Technical specialists moving to a general management position
- Professionals from international financial institutions (researchers, analysts) or government organisations (petroleum directorates, ministries of energy, geological surveys, trade bodies)
What’s your existing situation?
Preferably you’ll have a second class honours degree or above, or an overseas equivalent qualification. You should also have a minimum of two years’ managerial or professional experience in a full time position.
If you do not hold an honours degree you will be required to demonstrate significantly successful managerial experience* and may be required to complete a GMAT test obtaining a minimum score of 550. Where English is a second language you may be required to demonstrate a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 or a TOEFL score of 575.
* Managerial experience means managerial responsibility for people and/or functions and/or technical expertise such as, for example, engineering or operations.
Download a detailed application guide for The Oil & Gas MBA here.